divorce Divorce HQ attorneys lawyers

Post Divorce Modification and Enforcement

Post Divorce Modification

Just because your divorce is finalized doesn’t mean things can’t change. The court still has jurisdiction over divorce cases even after the decree has been issued and it IS possible to modify and existing order. However, you can’t just decide you’ve changed your mind or that you don’t like the outcome of your divorce and file for a post divorce modification. Most states require a significant or material change of circumstances before they even consider a modification.

Two of the most common reasons for a post divorce modification are children and money.

When it comes to children a post divorce modification can be sought if the needs of the child have changed significantly. Those needs can include:

  • Increased visitation/parenting time
  • Proof of physical or emotional abuse of the child
  • Proof of alcohol or drug abuse by the parent
  • Relocation to another state

As with most issues involving children, the courts will use the “best interest of the child” standard to decide on post divorce modification.

It’s no surprise that post divorce modification requests for financial reasons are common. Financial modifications may be sought to increase or decrease the amount of child support or alimony.

Generally speaking the courts will consider a post divorce modification for the following reasons:

  • Substantial increase/decrease in income
  • Illness
  • Disability
  • Job loss
  • Remarriage of ex-spouse
  • Change in the financial needs of the child or ex-spouse

Post divorce modification is often at the discretion of the court and can be complicated. It is best to seek the assistance of an attorney that is experienced in post divorce modification or post divorce enforcement and who can guide you through the process.

Post Divorce Enforcement

Once the court has made a ruling on a divorce case the parties involved are required to follow through with the obligations set forth in the order. If either spouse fails to perform or violates any of the obligations required they can be found to be in contempt of a court order. If this is the case you will need to file an enforcement action.

Common Causes for Enforcement Actions
  • Failure to pay child support
  • Failure to pay spousal support
  • Parenting time/visitation issues
  • Failure to divide marital assets as set forth in the agreement
  • Failure to provide insurance coverage as set forth in the decree
  • Failure to comply with any other required action as stated in the order.

Post divorce enforcement usually involves going to court. As in any situation where you need to appear in court it always best to be represented by a professional that is experienced in handling that type of case.

Additional Divorce Resources and Information:

Directory of Attorneys Directory of Mediators Financial FAQ's Featured Articles Child Support Child Support Calculators

Miscellaneous Divorce Related Articles

Domestic Abuse Orders for Protection in Minnesota - Domestic abuse is defined as any of the following committed against a family or household member. The domestic abuse order for protection is only available to the family and household members of the abuser. ...

Family Anti-Terrorism - A New Weapon in Domestic Violence Law - New York State Legislature enacted The Family Protection and Domestic Violence Intervention Act which confronts, and allows for the opportunity to acknowledge, domestic violence ...

New Jersey Domestic Violence - In 1982, the Prevention of Domestic Violence Act, codified at N.J.S.A. 2C:25-17, was enacted to address domestic abuse and provide civil remedies for domestic violence victims ...

New Jersey Premarital and Cohabitation Agreements - Premarital agreement or antenuptial agreement may be used by a couple to determine, prior to marriage, what each party's rights and obligations will be in the event of divorce. ...

Paternity in Minnesota - The days of factual disputes over paternity are long gone, as the issue of biological paternity is now decided by DNA, which is hard to argue with. ...

Advertise your practice

Child Support Calculator

Do not take any actions based upon the information contained within this web site without first consulting an attorney or an appropriate professional depending upon the content of the information.